[rfc-i] feedback on draft-iab-styleguide-01

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 00:26:38 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-04 23:05, Russ Housley wrote:
> Julian:

>>> I believe that the errata references are stable, and I agree that the URL for the errata is appropriate.
>>
>> It seems we're talking about different things. A useful URI leads to the think being referenced, not to the RFC Editor's home page.

>>> I think that the entry should include both the RFC number and the errata number. Something like this:
>>>
>>>       [ErrNNNN]  RFC Errata, Errata ID NNNN, RFC XXXX,
>>>                  <http:/www.rfc-editor.orgerrata_search.php?eid=NNNN>.
>>
>> Again, that is misleading, as this confuses the RFC with the errata about the RFC.
>
> This section of the Style Guide is about referencing errata.  The URL I offered goes to the errata, which is the thing being referenced.

Sorry; I skipped over the URL, as further above you said "and I agree
that the URL for the errata is appropriate." which I took to mean that
you were ok with the proposal in the style guide.

So yes, that's a usable URL, and it has been suggested before. I believe
the production center doesn't want to use that URL because of the PHP
artefacts in it; I can understand that, but the right way to address
this is to fix the URI format.

The other thing I'm unhappy with is

  Errata ID NNNN, RFC XXXX,

which kind of suggests that the thing being referenced *is* RFC XXXX. A
less confusing way to look at this is to consider "Errata for RFC XXXX"
to be a document series, thus to say:

   RFC XXXX Erratum NNNN

instead.

> For example:  http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php/?eid=1912
>
> This provides the errata, and it includes a link to the RFC, which is RFC 2978 in this case.

Yes.