[rfc-i] [Tools-discuss] Direction of the RFC Format Development effort

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Wed Oct 16 08:38:13 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)
<rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
> Regarding an nroffedit-like tool for XML, I agree that would be an
> excellent thing.  I don't think one can be created until we have a
> better idea if/how the XML DTD is going to change, but someone with more
> programming experience than I should speak to that point.

For my tool (lyx2rfc) it's no problem for it to exist now with unknown
future changes to the xml2rfc DTD/Schema: any changes in it will
merely require corresponding changes (or composition with new XSLs) to
the XSLT that lyx2rfc is using internally.

No WYSIWYG/WYSIWYM tool developers should feel held back by the
possibility of changes to the xml2rfc DTD/Schema: as long as it's all
XML it's all just a matter of applying appropriate XSL
transformations.

Nico