[rfc-i] [Tools-discuss] Direction of the RFC Format Development effort

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 13:30:50 PDT 2013

I don't need pure WISYWIG but I do need an editing format in which I can
remember the tags without having to constantly go to the web to read the
reference.

Which is why I now use HTML. I wrote a tool that converts from either
XML2RFC or HTML source and outputs either format or traditional plaintext.
The source is up on Sourceforge.

I am currently tweaking the tool as I discover features of things like
Google Drive which will output HTML but cannot generate DL tags. The reason
I would like to be able to use Google Drive is that it then becomes trivial
for two authors to work on the same doc at the same time.

It would be useful if the xml2rfc tool generated HTML in a way that was not
'lossy'. If the tool generates <H1> headings rather than <p> tags with
style sheet links it is much easier to recover structure.