[rfc-i] limiting repertoire of Unicode characters allowed?

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Wed Nov 20 15:36:20 PST 2013

In general, font licensing rules are different than those for RFCs, in
that you don't necessary need to redistribute the font itself but only
enough of it to view the content (but not edit, per se).  That's how the
embedding rights for PDF & EPUB work.  Web fonts (such as Google or Adobe
TypeKit) have a similar model (though not exact).

BUT in this case, we are looking for font(s) that can be widely
distributed to all RFC editors for use in producing their documents (aka
running the production tools), so in that case we would need something
that is either open source (as Larry showed) or at least freely
distributable for use on various OS platform (which probably means
OpenType or TrueType format).

Leonard