[rfc-i] RFC Format Design Team update and the IETF 88 BoF

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Thu Nov 7 19:45:38 PST 2013

Ted Lemon wrote:
> Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) <jhildebr at cisco.com> wrote:
> >
> > Why couldn't you do that by copy/pasting from your browser?
>
> Text selection in browsers is notoriously problematic.
> Granted, this is a UI issue, but it's still a practical concern.

Huh?

I've tried a number of browsers, but so far all of them seemed to
cope extremely well with what is currently rendered by rfcmarkup
through http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfcXXXX, and even printing that
can often be made to work quite well.

Copy&pasting or printing all those other bloated HTML that floats
around, on the other hand, keeps failing (and badly so) on pretty
much every browser since HTML was invented.

But wasn't one of the alleged requirements of the "new format" to
render well on mice movie theaters (aka smartphones)?  Continue
to render it in plain.txt with fixed with fonts in comfortable
72cps/56lpp is trivial compared to smartphones.  And it would
be _extremely_ beneficial for efficient document review when tools
like rfcdiff continue to work reasonably on revisions of a draft or rfc.

-Martin