[rfc-i] DTD breakage for reference IDs for 3GPP (bibxml5)

Tony Hansen tony at att.com
Thu Nov 7 14:35:13 PST 2013

One of the items I've been looking at this week is what to do with the
bibxml5 references to 3GPP.

In a nutshell, the problem is:

    *) the 2629 DTD says that the anchor attribute for <reference> is an ID
    *) an ID is required by the XML specs to start with an letter
    *) xml2rfc v1 ignored this and allowed anchors to start with digits
as well
    *) bibxml5 is *filled* with anchors that *all* start with "3GPP"
    *) xml2rfc v2 follows the DTD to the letter and generates errors for
all of these anchors

My first response to this was to simply change the 3GPP references to
something else. But what should it be changed to? "SDO-3GPP" works, but
none of our other SDO references (e.g., IEEE, ANSI, etc) use "SDO" as
part of their reference name. How about prepending "TR-" or "TS-" as
appropriate for 3GPP technical reports and technical specs? That's again
different from all other SDO's uses, where it's always the SDO name that
begins the reference.

Then, Sandy asked if we couldn't just make it allowable for 3GPP to be
used again? And that's where this message is coming from.

My questions are:

    *) What would the consequences be if we were to change the 2629 DTD
such that an anchor allowed digits to start the anchor?
    *) If we wanted to do this, what would be the appropriate type for
"anchor" in a modified DTD? %ATEXT? %CTEXT? Something else?

    Tony Hansen