[rfc-i] RFC Format Design Team update and the IETF 88 BoF

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Nov 7 13:30:00 PST 2013

On 11/7/13 1:18 PM, "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker at bbiw.net> wrote:

>> elinks -no-references -dump-width 60 -no-numbering -dump
>> draft-hildebrand-html-rfc.html | sed -e 's/^/> /g'
>

>So your point is that this isn't an issue because the user can write a
>program to filter it?

No.  My point is that different browsers will render the text in ways that
are more appropriate for a very specific use case.  Whether the above
command line is a browser or a program isn't terribly interesting; it just
provides an existence proof that we can get you what you need one day.

Folks who want "really plain text" have several competing text-based
browsers to choose from (lynx, links, elinks, etc.) that offer you
capabilities that might not have been obvious to you if you hadn't thought
of using them, and I thought it might be useful to point that out.

That said, I've forgotten what your original issue was. :)

--
Joe Hildebrand