[rfc-i] RFC Format Design Team update and the IETF 88 BoF

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Thu Nov 7 13:01:05 PST 2013

On 11/7/13 11:21 AM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:

>1.  It usually carries all the html meta-data, which can be extremely
>distracting.

Do you mean the header/footer stuff?  Those won't be in the new HTML
format.  Or do you mean links include the URL?

>2.  It usually isn't formatted into lines.  Mail compose windows might
>or might not wrap the text.  Getting at segments of the text, break it
>into segments for separate comments, then becomes more effort.

Here is an example of the output of the following command line:

elinks -no-references -dump-width 60 -no-numbering -dump
draft-hildebrand-html-rfc.html | sed -e 's/^/> /g'

>    The RFC Series has been in existence for over 40
>    years. During much of that time, the limitations of
>    character set, line and page length, and graphics
>    restrictions of RFC documents met the most immediate
>    needs of the majority of authors and readers. As
>    technology changed, new formats that allowed for a
>    richer set of edit, search and display features came
>    in to use, and tools were created to convert the plain
>    ASCII documents to other desired formats such as HTML,
>    PDF, and Microsoft Word. While the converted versions
>    of the RFCs are widely available, the canonical
>    display format remains the plain text, ASCII,
>    line-printer structured one. The canonical source
>    format is nroff.
>
>    Canonical source and display versions of an RFC exists
>    for several reasons:
>
>      * to provide verification of the content of an RFC
>        in case inconsistencies are created when a
>        document is converted to another format or
>        mirrored to another location
>      * to verify the final content of a document in cases
>        of legal dispute
>      * to aid in the conversion of the RFC in to formats
>        requested by the community

In other words, when I say "browser", I don't necessarily mean
Firefox/Chrome/IE/etc.

--
Joe Hildebrand