[rfc-i] RFC Format Design Team update and the IETF 88 BoF

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Nov 7 11:21:54 PST 2013

On 11/7/2013 11:13 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 11/7/13 10:04 AM, "Dave Crocker" <dhc at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>
>> The text version of an RFC is especially helpful for email discussion.
>> It permits easily incorporating portions of text for annotated comment.
>>   For example, I do draft reviews by quoting all of the text document,
>> cutting out the parts irrelevant to the review and typing my comments
>> inline. While this is for I-Ds rather than RFCs, I believe the benefit
>> applies to RFCs as well.
>
> Why couldn't you do that by copy/pasting from your browser?

1.  It usually carries all the html meta-data, which can be extremely
distracting.

2.  It usually isn't formatted into lines.  Mail compose windows might
or might not wrap the text.  Getting at segments of the text, break it
into segments for separate comments, then becomes more effort.

In other words, for doing inline commenting, I find that that it is
easier to work with simple, line-oriented ascii.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking