[rfc-i] RFCs for vanity reasons (was: RFCs accepted journal articles)

Paul E. Jones paulej at packetizer.com
Tue May 14 17:15:20 PDT 2013

I don't know how many such RFCs are published, but I would not assume that a
long list of authors necessarily suggests vanity.  I've seen a few instances
where a number of folks did collaborate to produce text and it's hard to
argue one person should be named as author while another should not.

There is an acknowledgement section, but that's not really the right place
to place the names of authors.  Further, that section almost always fails to
list everyone who contributed to the work of a WG.

I've often wondered why RFCs even have authors' names at the top.
Historical reasons only?  Perhaps it makes sense for individual drafts or
RFCs that are not pushed through a WG, but the WG participants IETF
leadership have a significant impact on the text as it is progressed.  Why
not publish such RFCs without names attached, perhaps listing only the WG or
Area?  Most useful RFCs are the product of the IETF WG, after all, not just
the editor or original authors.

Paul