[rfc-i] RFCs accepted journal articles

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Thu May 2 23:03:14 PDT 2013

Xplore is a content delivery service, not an index. They use the common pub industry indices.

Xplore delivers content from its conferences and journals and those of its sister societies and cosponsored meetings, the latter two by explicit agreement.

They did change their policies on publishing non-IEEE items without peer review relatively recently.

Joe

On May 2, 2013, at 10:30 PM, "John R Levine" <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:

>> Some of these only take series that are provable peer reviewed, e.g.
>> Xplore. Some also require exclusive copyright transfer.
>
> Xplore indexes everything from the IEEE and their "publishing partners", whatever that means.  IEEE itself publishes plenty of stuff that's not peer reviewed and included in Xplore, e.g., Spectrum and a bunch of tutorials.
>
> Inspec also indexes magazines and non-peer stuff.
>
> ACM DL already includes a lot of RFCs, Google Scholar indexes whatever it can find.
>
> None of them want copyright transfer; you're confusing the index with the
> journals the index includes.
>
> R's,
> John

>>> Ensure that they show up in the places people look for academic
>>> articles about computing:
>>>
>>> * ACM Digital library (has a bunch of RFCs apparently batch loaded about
>>> a decade ago but never updated)
>>>
>>> * IEEE Xplore
>>>
>>> * Inspec
>>>
>>> * Google Scholar
>>>
>>> DOIs cost money due to the need to get each document indexed in the
>>> big DOI database, although the prices look pretty low if your
>>> publishing revenue is under $1M. I presume we qualify, having
>>> publishing revenue of $0.
>>>
>>> Getting RFCs into the first three databases above can probably be
>>> negotiated with no payment either way once you find the right people
>>> to talk to.  A key bit is figuring out how to get new RFCs indexed as
>>> they are published without a lot of added manual effort.
>>>
>>> Google Scholar indexes documents automatically if they are in an
>>> appropriate format.  The HTML versions of RFCs may already be indexed,
>>> or are pretty close if not.
>>>
>>> R's,
>>> John