[rfc-i] [irtf-discuss] RFCs accepted journal articles

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu May 2 20:25:04 PDT 2013

On 03/05/2013 12:31, Joe Touch wrote:

> On 5/2/2013 5:11 PM, Jari Arkko wrote:
>>

>>> IETF-stream and IRTF-streams are often considered peer-reviewed.
>>>
>>> Other streams may or may not be considered peer-reviewed (I would not
>>> consider IAB documents as such), but independent submissions are
>>> generally not (they only purpose of the one review they get is to
>>> make sure they're on-topic and not bogus).
>>
>> There are two review steps for the independent submissions, the ISR
>> and the IESG review. I was under the impression that while the latter is
>> just about non-conflict with the IETF process, the former would have
>> looked at content and worthwhileness to publish. But I've never been a
>> part of the review board, so I don't really know…
>
> The information is here: http://www.rfc-editor.org/indsubs.html
>
> ISR checks to make sure a doc is non-bogus and relevant to be an RFC.
>
> IESG is a check on whether the doc should be part of the IETF process,
> or is somehow dangerous to the Internet in content.
>
> But neither is a true content quality review as would be expected of a
> peer-review process.

Joe, I don't know where you get that from. The ISE review is a peer review
with the option of anonymity for the reviewer and feedback to the authors
or to the RSE only.

This is covered in the CCR article, and anyone trying to justify the
academic credentials of the RFC series is welcome to cite the CCR
article; that's why we wrote it.
http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2010/January/1672308-1672315.pdf

   Brian