[rfc-i] RFCs accepted journal articles

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Thu May 2 18:41:03 PDT 2013

>There are a few things that would, to my understanding, help make RFCs
>more broadly recognized in the academic world, adding DOIs in
>particular.  Sounds like the Journal Citation Report could be another
>possibility.  What other things should be pursued in the search for
>academic validation?

Ensure that they show up in the places people look for academic
articles about computing:

* ACM Digital library (has a bunch of RFCs apparently batch loaded about
  a decade ago but never updated)

* IEEE Xplore

* Inspec

* Google Scholar

DOIs cost money due to the need to get each document indexed in the
big DOI database, although the prices look pretty low if your
publishing revenue is under $1M. I presume we qualify, having
publishing revenue of $0.

Getting RFCs into the first three databases above can probably be
negotiated with no payment either way once you find the right people
to talk to.  A key bit is figuring out how to get new RFCs indexed as
they are published without a lot of added manual effort.

Google Scholar indexes documents automatically if they are in an
appropriate format.  The HTML versions of RFCs may already be indexed,
or are pretty close if not.

R's,
John