[rfc-i] [irtf-discuss] RFCs accepted journal articles

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Thu May 2 17:11:35 PDT 2013

> IETF-stream and IRTF-streams are often considered peer-reviewed.
>
> Other streams may or may not be considered peer-reviewed (I would not consider IAB documents as such), but independent submissions are generally not (they only purpose of the one review they get is to make sure they're on-topic and not bogus).

There are two review steps for the independent submissions, the ISR and the IESG review. I was under the impression that while the latter is just about non-conflict with the IETF process, the former would  have looked at content and worthwhileness to publish. But I've never been a part of the review board, so I don't really know…

Anyway, not trying to deflect your main point but just wondering about this one detail.

Also, IAB does publish documents with a comment period, but it is true that they are not obliged to take feedback into account, so in theory they are not peer reviewed while in practice they often are.

Jari