[rfc-i] Incorrect use of the word "ASCII" in section 3.2

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Mar 12 01:29:41 PDT 2013

On 2013-03-12 02:52, Martin Rex wrote:
> Paul Hoffman wrote:
>>
>> P.S. Please do not interpret my offering of technically more correct
>> wording above as supporting the idea in the paragraph. I think it is
>> unnecessarily restrictive to prevent the use of ASCII in text that
>> is needed to be read or understood. It's 2013, folks.
>> If an example that is needed to be understood contains a character
>> such as ü, it is better to include the character directly than putting
>> in some placeholder and trying to describe that in the text surrounding
>> the example. I hope ADs in the future can convince the RSE to change
>> this rule for IETF Stream RFCs.
>
> The problem with characters from not from US-ASCII is that you can
> NEVER be sure that you recognize them (a) as not being from US-ASCII,
> and (b) which Unicode codepoints what you're seeing actually refers to.

Oh my. For HTML, for instance, you *could* do "show source".

That being said, nobody proposed to actually *use* code points with
hard-to-distinguish glyphs.

Well, except for examples for this particular problem; in which case I
do agree we want the actual code point side-by-side in prose.

Can we please apply common sense here?

Best regards, Julian