[rfc-i] [IAB Trac] #269: Discussion of UTF-8 in RFCs (Section 3.3)

IAB issue tracker trac+iab at trac.tools.ietf.org
Thu Mar 7 12:48:53 PST 2013

#269: Discussion of UTF-8 in RFCs (Section 3.3)

Changes (by hlflanagan at gmail.com):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 After further discussion with the RSOC concerning the text of 3.2, the
 text has been revised to:

       *  The official language of the RFC Series is English.  ASCII is
          required for all text that must be read to understand or
          implement the technology described in the RFC.  Use of non-
          ASCII characters, expressed in a standard Unicode Encoding Form
          (such as UTF-8), must receive explicit approval from the
          document stream manager and will be allowed after the rules for
          the common use cases are defined in the Style Guide.

 Between this and the other changes, I think we have reached reasonable
 wording for these requirements.  While this part is finished for the
 format requirements draft, there is some significant work promised here in
 the Style Guide.  It is critical that the direction and guidance in the
 Style Guide fill in where the requirements have left off.

 Reporter:  john-        |       Owner:  draft-iab-
  ietf at jck.com           |  rfcformatreq at tools.ietf.org
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed