[rfc-i] Code embedded in RFCs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Jun 28 17:40:14 PDT 2013

On Jun 28, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:

> This does seem like an interesting idea, though probably not as easy as
> it should be in a sane and rational world.  First, as was pointed out in
> another thread, being very clear on any legal ramifications - from
> copyright to those charming export laws - and whether any changes to the
> Trust Legal Provisions will be required, is a necessity.

One person suggested legal ramifications; I proposed that they were wholly specious because you are already publishing the code.

> Next, we need
> to understand the process behind putting code in a repository - would
> authors of the RFCs have access to modify that code in case of errata,
> or would this be a new task for the RFC Editor?

The latter, only. Authors do not have edit rights on anything in the RFC Editor's repository for current errata; why would this be any different?

>  And to round out the
> first set of questions, in looking at this from the proposed new RFC
> format, what would we need to do there to make this kind of code
> extraction easier in the future?

Andrew hit it on the head in his next message; no need to do anything other than make the format correct. This thread is about current-format RFCs.

--Paul Hoffman