[rfc-i] Code embedded in RFCs

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Jun 28 17:24:19 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 05:13:15PM -0700, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> first set of questions, in looking at this from the proposed new RFC
> format, what would we need to do there to make this kind of code
> extraction easier in the future?

Given the plan of a new format, why wouldn't it be better to be able
to identify code snippets in the source?  In that case, it'd be
trivial to write a "display format" that actually just produced the
code fragments and nothing else.  At that point, maintaining a
separate repository would no longer be advantageous, neatly avoiding
the problems of separate repos and so on.  Also, one could write a
display format that did _not_ display the code, so people could choose
to ignore the code automatically when reading, too.

Note that this is approximately the same thing as the usual tools we
see in coding systems that can embed complete documentation in code
(think Doxygen, POD, and so on).

Speaking only as an individual,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com