[rfc-i] RFC 6234 code

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Jun 28 12:19:21 PDT 2013

On Jun 28, 2013, at 12:10 PM, John C Klensin <john-ietf at jck.com> wrote:

> Folks, IANAL, but please be _very_ careful about the comment Joe
> made about the potential difference between publishing a paper
> or article that contains code and exporting the code itself or
> making it generally available for export.   I have no reason to
> believe that this particular case is a problem given how widely
> the details of SHA-2 has been published but, if we want the RFC
> Editor to go into the code distribution business, we should be
> very sure that an attorney with the right specialties has looked
> at the situation and either cleared it generally or advised on
> what needs to be examined case by case.

The RFC Editor is publishing code in a text file that is formatted like an RFC. The proposal is for the RFC Editor to publish *the exact same code* in a file without the RFC wrapping.

If you really think you see a legal difference in doing the second, fine; I propose that you are just searching for problems that do not exist.

--Paul Hoffman