[rfc-i] Code embedded in RFCs

Dearlove, Christopher (UK) chris.dearlove at baesystems.com
Fri Jun 28 08:10:28 PDT 2013

It's been suggested to me that this is the appropriate place to bring up something I raised on the IETF list.

My interest was (is) in RFC 6234, but other examples have been given.

RFC 6234 contains embedded code. Extracting that is possible (and a tool that performs part of the task has been pointed out) but it's not very efficient if everyone has to do that. One participant o the list indicated it took him twenty minutes to extract and verify.

Instead, would it not be more sensible if the RFC Editor maintained, together with any RFC containing code (this could probably be limited to code that spans more than a page) the code files. Or (an alternative suggestion that has been made - though I prefer the former) a suitable form of script to extract the code. Apparently (I have not followed this up) some RFCs include such a script.

In reply to one comment made about maintaining code versions, that is not what is suggested, but rather the snapshot of the code that is embedded in the RFC. (There might be an issue if any errata applied to the code, but let's walk before running.)

--
Christopher Dearlove
Senior Principal Engineer, Communications Group

BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687