[rfc-i] [IAB] RSOC Appointments

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Jun 25 10:58:44 PDT 2013

On 6/25/2013 10:39 AM, SM wrote:
> Hi Dave,
> At 10:11 25-06-2013, Dave Crocker wrote:
>> From this exchange, I cannot tell what you are specifically asking to
>> have done differently.
>
> I mentioned that it was a missed opportunity.  What I mean is to try and
> do things differently if there is an opportunity to do so.  Otherwise it
> is not possible to resolve what several persons from the IETF Community
> has labelled as a "serious issue".

Announcements were sent to everyone in the community who subscribed to
the relevant list(s).  You are saying that those actions were not
sufficient.  I can't tell what you believe they should have done in
addition, and therefore I can't form an opinion about whether it's
reasonable to require such actions.

Those running the process have some responsibilities.  Those interested
in the process have some responsibilities.  Those who might be
candidates have some responsibilities.

On the average, no one ever does enough.  (Well, except maybe you; the
level of detailed effort you put in assisting working group operationss
continues to amaze me.  But enough about you.)  The rest of us /never/
do enough.

So the question is what is reasonable to expect from our volunteers who
run things?  Simply saying "more" is not helpful.

That is, my questions to you are intended to look for the balance
amongst those groups.  Who is supposed to do what, specifically?

>> "Recruiting" can mean many different things.  They make public
>> announcements.  As I recall, they do it more than once.
>>
>> What more should this volunteer crew of recruiters be tasked with
>> doing, specifically?
>
> I was asked a similar question from an IETF Area Director.  I would
> expect that people recruiting other people would do more than an
> announcement to get a good pool of candidates.If someone is an IAB
> member I would expect the person to be aware of the debates that have
> been going on and to use his or her imagination.

Oh.  Be more creative?  You want them to write a novel or a movie script?

Really, SM.  I have no idea what you mean concretely or realistically.

d/
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking
bbiw.net