[rfc-i] Embedding stuff (code, etc.) in RFCs

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 13:47:40 PDT 2013

My order of preference is

1) Embed the code in the XML version in a way that lets it be extracted

2) Distribute the code in a 'care package' distributed along with the
document.

3) Do nothing at all.

Making plaintext IDs is hard enough without an additional set of stupid
format requirements. I don't intend to insert start code and end code tags
in my drafts let alone comply with someone's escaping scheme. If we are
using escaping it has stopped being plaintext.

XML does meet this need and should be used. That is why the format should
have been XML years ago. Though HTML is actually easier.

I can convert my HTML2RFC format into XMLRFC format at this point. Just
working on  emitting plaintext. I have found tools that let me deliver the
tool as a self contained executable with all the mono etc libraries
included on Windows, OSX and Linux. So hopefully it will be even easier to
use than the web hosted version when finished.