[rfc-i] Embedding stuff (code, etc.) in RFCs

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jul 12 13:02:00 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Riccardo Bernardini
<framefritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree that maybe starting from the xml would be a higher-level (and
> simpler) approach. However, as long as the text file remains the
> official RFC format, you can be sure you can get the .txt, but you
> cannot be granted having the XML.  For example, in the case of my
> draft I uploaded only the .txt.

Meh.  I think the XML should be considered canonical, though I think
the xml2rfc schema could use some extensions first.  But whatever.
That's for a different thread (that we've had in the past).

> Actually, the XML could not even exist.  You could edit directly the
> text file (Yuk!), you could use nroff or some other formatting tool.
> For example, I do not love XML too much and I would prefer a
> LaTeX-like syntax for my I-Ds, so I toyed for a while with the idea of
> making my LaTeX-based tool (I have a faint memory seeing something
> like that, but maybe it was a sleeping project... Faint, faint...).

There's lyx2rfc:

http://lyx2rfc.d.porticor.net/lyx2rfc/lyx2rfc.html
https://github.com/nicowilliams/lyx2rfc

(not quite LaTeX but still).

Also, I've seen TeX macros for typesetting RFCs.  Eventually I'd like
to get lyx2rfc to format I-Ds and RFCs via TeX, with a trip through
XML, but with a schema that preserves all LyX data and metadata alike,
not the LyXHTML nor xml2rfc schemata.  This would give us the best of
all worlds (well, except for LyX not having VIM keybindings).

Nico