[rfc-i] Embedding stuff (code, etc.) in RFCs

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 12 12:39:45 PDT 2013

On 7/12/13 2:33 PM, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Is the problem statement:
>     Some RFCs have stuff (code, etc.) inline, and it would be useful for a reader
>     to be able to get it easily without having to unindent, remove page breaks,
>     split into separate files, and so on?
>
> If so, a simple solution would be "the stuff (code, etc.) in this RFC can be found at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-stuff/rfc7890.tgz". The URL would be canonical, the response one gets when resolving it would not be, just as is the response one gets for other non-canonical stuff like PDF versions of RFCs.

I think it is a little more complicated than that. And details may vary
depending on who you are talking to.

Some drafts "contain" (embed) *renderings* of material that may wish to
be used outside the context of the draft. Use outside the draft may
require the original form, not the rendered form.

Coherence is essential - that what uses outside the draft see is
identical to what was used to render the draft. (Extracting the code
from the .txt is one way to achieve coherence. But IMO its not the ideal
way.)

Renderings for the draft may include indenting, line folding, escaping
of problematic characters, pagination including page headers/footers in
the midst of the rendering, and interspersing of draft commentary with
the rendered material.

(For instance, some drafts intersperse commentary with ABNF.)

Retrieval via canonical URLs would be good. It wouldn't have to pretend
that there were separate files. It could be a URL with query syntax.

	Thanks,
	Paul K