[rfc-i] Embedding stuff (code, etc.) in RFCs

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Jul 12 11:33:47 PDT 2013

Is the problem statement:
   Some RFCs have stuff (code, etc.) inline, and it would be useful for a reader
   to be able to get it easily without having to unindent, remove page breaks,
   split into separate files, and so on?

If so, a simple solution would be "the stuff (code, etc.) in this RFC can be found at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-stuff/rfc7890.tgz". The URL would be canonical, the response one gets when resolving it would not be, just as is the response one gets for other non-canonical stuff like PDF versions of RFCs.

Of course we would need to have lawyers spend time analyzing this because. But after that, it would make distributing stuff from RFCs pretty trivial. We could even back-port it on a case-by-case basis for older RFCs.

--Paul Hoffman