[rfc-i] Embedding stuff (code, etc.) in RFCs

Riccardo Bernardini framefritti at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:40:16 PDT 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Riccardo,
>
> The approach you propose depends on explicit syntax in a draft, so that file
> content can be identified and extracted. It is complicated by the need to
> disambiguate it visually, and to deal with formatting issues.
>
> IMO it would be better to extract content from the *markup* document. The
> xml2rfc format already has *some* support for this: the <artwork> element
> has a type attribute. This is already used, by some, to identify some
> content like abnf. And some tools already use this - e.g. to drive syntax
> checkers.
>
> Of course that mechanism is somewhat rudimentary, and could stand some
> beefing up. But I think it would be a better starting point than trying to
> parse file content out of the draft .txt file.

I agree that maybe starting from the xml would be a higher-level (and
simpler) approach. However, as long as the text file remains the
official RFC format, you can be sure you can get the .txt, but you
cannot be granted having the XML.  For example, in the case of my
draft I uploaded only the .txt.

Actually, the XML could not even exist.  You could edit directly the
text file (Yuk!), you could use nroff or some other formatting tool.
For example, I do not love XML too much and I would prefer a
LaTeX-like syntax for my I-Ds, so I toyed for a while with the idea of
making my LaTeX-based tool (I have a faint memory seeing something
like that, but maybe it was a sleeping project... Faint, faint...).