[rfc-i] Embedding stuff (code, etc.) in RFCs

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 12 09:26:26 PDT 2013

Riccardo,

The approach you propose depends on explicit syntax in a draft, so that
file content can be identified and extracted. It is complicated by the
need to disambiguate it visually, and to deal with formatting issues.

IMO it would be better to extract content from the *markup* document.
The xml2rfc format already has *some* support for this: the <artwork>
element has a type attribute. This is already used, by some, to identify
some content like abnf. And some tools already use this - e.g. to drive
syntax checkers.

Of course that mechanism is somewhat rudimentary, and could stand some
beefing up. But I think it would be a better starting point than trying
to parse file content out of the draft .txt file.

What would help would be a mechanism to apply type-specific formatting
to artwork content when formatting as an RFC. That would allow the "raw"
content of the artwork to be in "native" format.

I've been interested in this for a slightly different but related goal:
I want to extend the abnf syntax to allow reference/importing of ABNF
from other sources. And I want that to work when the ABNF being
referenced is embedded in an RFC/draft.

	Thanks,
	Paul