[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfcformatreq-01: fixed-width != ASCII

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jan 25 07:20:07 PST 2013

>Just to add a small wrinkle: IF the objective is to define a new
>format for the "pretty" (printed) version of an RFC ...

I would be much happier if the objective were specifically *not* to
define new or old display formats for an RFC.

If the canonical format contains sufficient information, people should
be able to produce whatever display formats they find useful.  It
seems likely that for convenience the RSE will provide some formatted
versions for download, including one similar to the current line
printer format for the benefit of people who, being at the cutting
edge of Internet technology, cannot tolerate any change whatsoever.
But that's up to Heather.

R's,
John