[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Thu Jan 24 13:49:35 PST 2013

Yoav Nir wrote:

> Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:
>>
>> I can't imagine the RFC-Editor being happy to work with the formatted
>> .txt only as an input.  Say I edited an I-D that way, formatting and
>> paginating by hand (don't laugh, I used to, though I had a script to
>> do the pagination)?
>
> They'll take just the txt version, although they'll grumble.
> RFC 4478 had no nroff or xml source.

NRoffEdit is able to convert a current I-D or RFC back into nroff source.
The heuristics it uses to decide about indentation an "fill mode" are
not quite perfect, but it typically takes only ~30 Minutes of manual
adjustments for a document to make it useful/accpetable.

This is what I like most about nroff and NRoffEdit.  It doesn't matter
what tooling the original author used, I can re-author the I-D or RFC
with negligible effort and trivially (WYSIWYG) create an updated version
of the document with NRoffEdit.  No bothering with awkward toolchains,
no need for licensing any fancy third-party software.

Most importantly, I can keep my hands clean from XML.

-Martin