[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) rse at rfc-editor.org
Tue Jan 22 10:15:24 PST 2013

On 1/20/13 1:56 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 1/18/13 5:03 PM, "Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor)"
> <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>

>> Of course the RFC Editor would prefer to work with a single Submission
>> format.  As others on this thread have pointed out, it would make many
>> things more efficient for the editors and possibly for authors as well.
>> However, based on my discussions with the Stream Managers and other
>> advisers, I do not believe that is something I can reasonably require at
>> this time.  I will encourage it, but I am not ready to require it.
>
> One thing you do have at your disposal for incentivizing the behavior you
> desire is response time.  If submissions in your preferred format are
> processed more quickly because it's easier for your staff, I doubt anyone
> would be surprised.

Yes, that's certainly a practical possibility.  The RFC Editor does,
however, has a signed service level agreement and a contractual
obligation to try and get things out the door in a timely fashion.  So,
we may see this happen as a natural result of things, but I don't know
that we could consciously decide to be slower with different formats.

-Heather