[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 00:20:33 PST 2013

On 18/01/2013 18:28, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> Proposed addition to 3.2:
>
> The Canonical format will be allowed as a Submission format.

This implies that the Canonical format is an editable format.
Given that we are proposing to allow graphics in the Canonical
format, that seems like a significant constraint to me. Doesn't
it exclude PDF/A, for example?

> *or*
>
> The Canonical format will be the new required Submission format.

I would regard that as over-constrained unless we require it to be
accompanied by an editable format.

For greatest overall convenience it seems like we should encourage
everyone to use the same editable format, even if that can't be
made compulsory.

   Brian