[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jan 18 17:18:39 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> xml2rfc is an application, not a format. You probably mean "the RFC profile of XML". There is a current profile, and if the RFC Editor accepts all of the requirements in section 3.2 draft-iab-rfcformatreq, that profile will have to change somewhat. nroff cannot meet all of those requirements.

I get tired of writing out "XML in the xml2rfc schema", so I use
"xml2rfc" as short-hand for that sometimes.  And look! you understood
exactly what I meant.  I'm glad you are able to make reasonable
inferences from context -- that's a skill I highly recommend learning
and applying to these sorts of discussions.  And when exactitude
matters, then let's be exact and exacting.

Also, I've never seen "RFC profile of XML" anywhere before, not in
RFC2629, not in draft-mrose-writing-rfcs, not in
draft-rfc-format-flanagan -- the word "profile" simply does not appear
in any of those, nor in other xml2rfc-related pages.  Moreover, "XML
Profile" probably does not mean what you thing it means; in fact, it
appears to mean nothing.  There's "XML Processor Profiles", but that's
something else.  If you're going to be pedantic, do get it right at
least.