[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Fri Jan 18 16:57:34 PST 2013

On Jan 18, 2013, at 4:50 PM, Nico Williams <nico at cryptonector.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 18, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir at checkpoint.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Currently, Internet Drafts look very similar to RFCs. I think we'll want to keep that similarity.
>>
>> Who is "we" here? There are four streams for RFCs, and you are probably making the assumption that "we" are the IETF Stream.
>>
>> Yes, this could be a political football. No, it shouldn't be.
>
> It would be if the RFC-Editor were to abandon xml2rfc _and_ nroff as
> Submission and Revisable formats.

xml2rfc is an application, not a format. You probably mean "the RFC profile of XML". There is a current profile, and if the RFC Editor accepts all of the requirements in section 3.2 draft-iab-rfcformatreq, that profile will have to change somewhat. nroff cannot meet all of those requirements.

--Paul Hoffman