[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Jan 18 13:18:36 PST 2013

Marc Blanchet wrote:

> John Levine write:
> >
> > There are acceptable input formats.  Currently there are, as I
> > understand it, 2 1/2 input formats, line printer format similar to the
> > current output format, xml2rfc, and maybe nroff if it uses the same
> > coding the production people use.
> >
> > I don't see any reason to change that structure.  The canonical format
> > may change (I hope it does, to something close to xml2rfc), and the
> > set of input formats may change, e.g., lose nroff, but perhaps add
> > something that lets you bundle xml2rfc for the text and separate
> > chunks for the pictures.  But the model of one output, multiple
> > inputs seems to work.

+1

But I would boldly assume that I-D/RFC submissions based on nroff->TXT output
mostly use only a small subset of nroff features, and typically a subset that
the RFC Editor's own nroff tools can cope with.

> multiple inputs may work but brings less efficiency in the whole
> process (from initial draft to RFC publication)

Continuing to have an input format, in particular one that has
a conservative low number of features, does not impair efficiency,
and is typically very efficient in the Editing process.

Adding new input formats, significantly expanding an existing input
format, or Editing a feature-rich input format is slowing the
Editing process.

Long discussions on rfc-interest may also cut significantly into
Heathers time budget...

-Martin