[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Fri Jan 18 10:45:40 PST 2013

>> Specifically, for any given RFC there should be one canonical form
>> which needn't be the same as for other RFCs (i.e., some will be .txt,
>> some will be PDF, ...).  And for any input to the RFC-Editor queue
>> there should be a single canonical input form that the editors will
>> work with (XML with whatever schema, nroff, ...).

Heck, no.  There is a canonical output format, the one to which we
point if someone wants to know what is "the RFC."

There are acceptable input formats.  Currently there are, as I
understand it, 2 1/2 input formats, line printer format similar to the
current output format, xml2rfc, and maybe nroff if it uses the same
coding the production people use.

I don't see any reason to change that structure.  The canonical format
may change (I hope it does, to something close to xml2rfc), and the
set of input formats may change, e.g., lose nroff, but perhaps add
something that lets you bundle xml2rfc for the text and separate
chunks for the pictures.  But the model of one output, multiple
inputs seems to work.

R's,
John