[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Marc Blanchet marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca
Fri Jan 18 10:44:32 PST 2013

Le 2013-01-18 à 13:28, Paul Hoffman a écrit :

> On Jan 18, 2013, at 10:02 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) <rse at rfc-editor.org> wrote:
>
>> One of the areas we have struggled with is terminology.  Is it possible
>> for you to phrase your suggestion using the terms defined in the draft?
>
> Current text in 1.1:
>
>   Submission format = the format submitted to the RFC Editor for
>   editorial revision and publication
>
>      *  Currently: formatted plain text (required), XML (optional),
>         NROFF (optional)
> . . .
>   Canonical format = the authorized, recognized, accepted, and archived
>   version of the document
>
>      *  Currently: formatted  plain text
>

> Proposed addition to 3.2:
>
> The Canonical format will be allowed as a Submission format.
>
> *or*
>
> The Canonical format will be the new required Submission format.

By default, I'm strongly in favor of the latter.  We have to think about a broader picture of the whole process effectiveness. And I have a hard time thinking that people who are in computer networks and many coding could not adapt to a new(to them) tool/document format/document editor/...  that would be beneficial to the whole community.  A single format from the source to the destination is just more efficient to everybody, authors, editors, wg chairs, iesg, rfc editor, etcc…. and a single format would enable us to have various tools around it with all the efficiency we want and need.

unless the canonical format is the APL language or something similar… ;-)

Marc.