[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jan 18 09:54:58 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> Arrgh, good catch. I should have said "I propose that draft-iab-rfcformatreq add a section explicitly saying that, whatever the canonical format is be allowed as an input format."

We might need to distinguish between canonical output and canonical
input formats.

Specifically, for any given RFC there should be one canonical form
which needn't be the same as for other RFCs (i.e., some will be .txt,
some will be PDF, ...).  And for any input to the RFC-Editor queue
there should be a single canonical input form that the editors will
work with (XML with whatever schema, nroff, ...).  Since successful
Internet-Drafts tend to end up in the RFC-Editor queue we should ask
I-D authors to use one of the input formats supported by the
RFC-Editor.

Nico