[rfc-i] Number of submission formats

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Jan 18 09:37:47 PST 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:
> I propose that draft-iab-rfcformatreq add a section explicitly saying that, whatever the output format is be allowed as an input format. It doesn't have to be the only submission format, but that would be OK too. This will require a change to the Internet Drafts submission tool, but probably not a large one.

The problem with output formats as input formats for I-Ds is that when
the I-D finally lands on the RFC-Editor queue the editor will want a
different input format: one that is easier to work with.  For example,
typeset PDF is not easy to edit, and it's harder still to edit it such
that the end result looks indistinguishable from PDF properly typeset
from updated sources.

So, while I think it's fine that the I-D upload tool accept output
formats as inputs, in the end the RFC-Editor needs inputs that aren't
typeset/paginated outputs.  And I-D authors should know what these
input formats are so that they can work in one of those from the
get-go.

Nico