[rfc-i] draft-iab-rfcformatreq-01

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 00:52:26 PST 2013

On 17/01/2013 06:31, John Levine wrote:
> It does seem closer to something that feels final, doesn't it.
>
> Minor suggestions:
>
> 2.1.5: Metadata are also useful for indexing, in particular, for
> preparing whatever is needed to get documents into IEEE Xplore,
> Google Scholar, etc.

And closer to home, metadata would benefit community tools such
as the IETF tracker and the indexing provided at the RFC Editor site.

> 3.2: Do you really mean no color, or is it that graphics must render
> legibly when color isn't available, but can use color when it is?

I think we don't need to say "Color will not be accepted." The
constraints that follow this phrase seem sufficient to me.

> Also when you say monochrome, do you mean greyscale?  It's hard to
> think of a printer or display these days that can't do grey.

Nevertheless, I think the insistence on black and white is correct.
We should not *depend* on greyscale for readability, IMHO. In other
words, colour and greyscale are allowed, but a black and white version
must provide complete information.

  Brian