[rfc-i] "wysiwyg" requirement

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Jan 15 00:56:20 PST 2013

On 2013/01/15 14:52, Martin Rex wrote:
> Tim Bray wrote:

>> My problem is that I can?t help thinking of the IETF as (in part) a
>> publisher of high-value intellectual content, and that content deserves
>> better respect than is shown by the use of tools that were second-rate 30
>> years ago.
>

> Those who try to deveive themselves and others that displaying
> proportional text would be a trivial, long-solved problem, probably
> do not have the slightest clue what they're actually talking about.
>
> See this information about how much this is still an area of
> research, trial-and-error, frustration, and user&developer dismay
> because things regularly will not work as expected, and in particular
> not in the first few releases of a software:
>
>    http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=379

It's not news (at least not to me) that 3D graphics libraries aren't
extremely good at text rendering. But nobody (except maybe you?) is
proposing to render RFCs in 3D. And the situation for 2D is way better,
in particular for the main "rendering device" we are thinking about
targeting, namely the browser.

Regards,   Martin.