[rfc-i] "wysiwyg" requirement

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jan 14 21:52:04 PST 2013

Tim Bray wrote:

> Except for, nroff is an outdated tool that has no notion of structural
> integrity (or actually of structure at all), fosters the illusion that
> 66-line 80-column monospaced paginated text is anything but an accidental
> artifact of long-obsolete display technology, and and whose use is rapidly
> heading into the territory of ?actively harmful?.
>
> My problem is that I can?t help thinking of the IETF as (in part) a
> publisher of high-value intellectual content, and that content deserves
> better respect than is shown by the use of tools that were second-rate 30
> years ago.

Those who try to deveive themselves and others that displaying
proportional text would be a trivial, long-solved problem, probably
do not have the slightest clue what they're actually talking about.

See this information about how much this is still an area of
research, trial-and-error, frustration, and user&developer dismay
because things regularly will not work as expected, and in particular
not in the first few releases of a software:

  http://www.virtualdub.org/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=379

-Martin