[rfc-i] [IAB Trac] #269: Discussion of UTF-8 in RFCs (Section 3.3)

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:55:13 PST 2013

My basic concern is that we provide sufficient tools to ensure that
drafts conform to our formatting rules. If the decision about validity
of UTF-8 usage is specified as being subjective, then we must identify
who is expected to apply the subjective judgement, and give them
sufficient tools to do the job. idnits could provide the warnings as
such a tool, but if there is a high false positive rate, then it will
increase reviewer burden and make it more likely that errors will be missed.

So anything that can be done to automate more of this checking and
reduce the false positive rate will be important.

One possibility would be to tag sections in the markup version of the
draft with metadata describing whether they are normative or not. But
then idnits would need to use the markup version rather than the display
version. And tagging sections as normative or not could be burdensome.

	Thanks,
	Paul