[rfc-i] [IAB Trac] #269: Discussion of UTF-8 in RFCs (Section 3.3)

Paul Kyzivat pkyzivat at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 14:20:25 PST 2013

On 2/28/13 1:39 AM, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
> On 2/26/13 11:52 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> Heather,
>>
>> A test case if I may. Is this normative or informative use of UTF-8?
>>
>> "UTF-8 strings MUST be allowed (for example, 'smörgåsbord')."
>>
>> The first half is clearly normative but the second half, IMHO, isn't.
> Correct.
>>
>> I'm not trying to be clever here; I am genuinely unsure what your
>> text means to me as an author or reviewer.
> This is the same type of judgement call made on a regular basis when it
> comes to deciding things like references.  I expect most cases will be
> obvious, and edge cases will need to be discussed, exactly as they are
> today.

While I think we need allow this, the subjective nature of the decision
means that idnits can't be authoritative about it. It will probably need
to flag most instances of UTF-8 as warnings, and in some documents there
could be *many* of those. The only clean solution I see to that is to
permit UTF-8 everywhere.

	Thanks,
	Paul