[rfc-i] [IAB Trac] #269: Discussion of UTF-8 in RFCs (Section 3.3)

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Wed Feb 27 08:53:52 PST 2013

[Resend from subscriber address.]

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Heather,
>
> A test case if I may. Is this normative or informative use of UTF-8?
>
> "UTF-8 strings MUST be allowed (for example, 'smörgåsbord')."
>
> The first half is clearly normative but the second half, IMHO, isn't.
>
> I'm not trying to be clever here; I am genuinely unsure what your
> text means to me as an author or reviewer.

I read it as something like "everything but names and examples and
explicitly informative text should be ASCII".

Examples, like "for example, smörgåsbord" are informative.  Normative
and informative text can be mixed.  Surely it has to be thus, though
there's nothing wrong with being a bit more explicit (including about
the distinction between normative and informative text).

Nico