[rfc-i] [IAB Trac] #269: Discussion of UTF-8 in RFCs (Section 3.3)

Dave Thaler dthaler at microsoft.com
Wed Feb 27 07:47:28 PST 2013

Brian Carpenter wrote:
> A test case if I may. Is this normative or informative use of UTF-8?
>
> "UTF-8 strings MUST be allowed (for example, 'smörgåsbord')."
>
> The first half is clearly normative but the second half, IMHO, isn't.

Right.   Same distinction you'd follow for deciding whether a reference is
informative or normative... "for example" says what follows is informative.
(in "All [RFCaaa] widgets MUST be allowed (for example, [RFCbbb] widgets)"

> I'm not trying to be clever here; I am genuinely unsure what your text means
> to me as an author or reviewer.

Maybe it would help readers if Heather had:
OLD: UTF-8/Unicode text will be  allowed for Author names and addresses and
OLD: non-normative text within an  RFC.

NEW: UTF-8/Unicode text will be allowed for Author names and addresses,
NEW: examples, and other non-normative text within an  RFC.
?

-Dave