[rfc-i] Requirement for "consistent printing"

Yoav Nir ynir at checkpoint.com
Thu Feb 21 03:00:43 PST 2013

On Feb 21, 2013, at 12:43 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2013-02-21 09:44, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> On 20/02/2013 19:25, Nico Williams wrote:
>>> Martin, no one has said you should use section numbers alone.  We've
>>> been saying "section number and paragraph number".  What's wrong with
>>> that?
>>
>> What is the meaning of "paragraph" in a MIB module? I think Martin
>> is absolutely correct for a large MIB module, although for normal text
>> one can manage with references like "the 13th paragraph in section 1.2.3",
>> although it's quite clumsy.
>
> http://bla/rfcnnnn.html#sec-1.2.3.p.13
>
> Or, in a MIB module
>
> http://bla/rfcnnnn.html#mib.foobar
>
> Just make the author assign usable anchors.

Text paragraphs can be assigned numbers (and anchors) automatically. But take a look at this thing (the first draft that comes from googling "draft mib site:ietf.org":

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-mib-09

Section 7 begins on page 8, and ends on page 63. The XML has it as a series of figure elements. We could have those elements numbered, I guess, but what if they had made it one single giant figure?

The definitions list in section 6.2 is also a bit long, so that we'd want some pointers in the middle. But do we number every element in a list?