[rfc-i] Requirement for "consistent printing"

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:44:41 PST 2013

On 20/02/2013 19:25, Nico Williams wrote:
> Martin, no one has said you should use section numbers alone.  We've
> been saying "section number and paragraph number".  What's wrong with
> that?

What is the meaning of "paragraph" in a MIB module? I think Martin
is absolutely correct for a large MIB module, although for normal text
one can manage with references like "the 13th paragraph in section 1.2.3",
although it's quite clumsy.

I'm sticking to my guns: I think we need *consistent* printing across
both common paper formats. If we have that, we can work around the
lack of official page and/or paragraph numbers, and we do no harm to
reflowable formats.

I think this is a technical requirement, to make large RFCs fit for
purpose.

    Brian