[rfc-i] Requirement for "clear printing"

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Wed Feb 20 12:12:28 PST 2013

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

> Martin Rex wrote:
> >
> > The huge advantage of fixed size 10 cpi font for the vanilla TXT document
> > is that one can reliably predict the readability for *ALL* documents
> > that are printed N-up, because the font size is reliably known before
> > printing.
> >
> > If the authors get to choose arbitrary font sizes, printing will become
> > a tree chopping exercise, because inconsistent readability of N-up
> > printouts that will be highly dependent on the authors (ab)use of
> > font sizes.
>
> Are you suggesting a new requirement for support of N-up printing that
> is "readable" for some N and some quality of eyesight???

There is another quite useful application that uses 2-up on the
IETF tools website: rfcdiff  (in this case 2-up for the screen,
but the idea is the same)

rfcdiff facilitates reviewing changes between two I-D versions:

   http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-saintandre-urn-example-02

and even between two RFCs when they are sufficiently related:

   http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=rfc4346.txt&url1=rfc2246.txt

(although the current rfc2diff heuristics seem to get confused
 by insertion of empty lines here in a few places).

-Martin