[rfc-i] Requirement for "clear printing"

Ole Jacobsen ole at cisco.com
Wed Feb 20 01:37:08 PST 2013

I think what we are really discussing here is a "presentation format"
and it *might* be worth thinking about this in the context of the
evolution of the RFC Series and vis a vis other SDOs.

I *can* imagine a future in which we have RFCs that look just as
"professional" as ITU or ISO standards, complete with line graphics,
widown and orphan control, carefully chosen fonts, perhaps even a
column that runs alongside a graphic (".... the diagram on the left
shows ....").

Most of this ONLY makes sense for documents that are really PRINTED
in the traditional sense (or displayed as PDF files, but not reflowed
or otherwise subject to user preferences or device constraints).

The question is: Do we want such a format, and if the answer is yes,
then would we grandfather in the older RFCs where there are indeed
page numbers?

I can certainly see that it would be useful.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole at cisco.com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo