[rfc-i] Equal pagination for US-Letter and A4 should be easy, and yet...

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Feb 19 09:28:19 PST 2013

It's just a matter of setting the effective page size (if necessary by
setting the margins for each actual paper size) to a size that fits in
both.  This might be non-trivial to implement in a tool like xml2rfc,
but it should be trivial in roff and TeX (and derivatives), and since
xml2rfc can produce roff... it's really not too difficult.  In any
case, limitations of xml2rfc -real or imagined- should not limit us.

Still, we should not want to have stable page numbering as a
requirement (but some do).  We've beaten that horse to death[*].  I
suggest that the I-D be updated to reflect the discussion and that we
move on.

[*]  But let me whack once more: I propose that stable page numbers be
listed as a goal but NOT a requirement for paginated output formats
intended to print on either or both of US-Letter and A4.  For stable
internal references we should use either {section number, paragraph
number}, or just {entity number} (figure, table, paragraph, list, ...
numbers).

Nico